Linda Gabe, RN, CDE, Methodist Hospital Prevention and Wellness Services
Are you ready to take the first steps on your journey to become smoke-free?
If so, Methodist Hospital Prevention and Wellness Services is here to
help. These 10 facts about smoking and nicotine may help you make a decision
to improve your health by eliminating nicotine from your life.
- After Marlboro introduced the Marlboro Man in 1955, the company’s
sales hit five billion dollars. This was a 3,000 percent increase over
the previous year’s sales. Ironically, at least four actors who
portrayed the Marlboro Man died of smoking related diseases.
- In the 1930s, candy cigarettes were modeled after real cigarettes to target children.
- The Surgeon General’s Report in 2014 marked the 50th Anniversary
of the first publication on the harmful effects of smoking tobacco.
- Studies have shown that nicotine is as addictive as heroin.
- Many people who switch to electronic cigarettes (e-cigs) are unable to
stop. Nicotine is nicotine, whether it is inhaled from tobacco smoke or
fused into a liquid for use in an electronic device. When the FDA analyzed
e-cigs, carcinogens such as formaldehyde and lead were detected.
- Children and teens sometimes smoke a product called JUUL which is flavored
like candy and looks like a flash drive. This makes it much easier to
smoke without detection.
- Health care providers can prescribe a medication that is FDA approved for
- Support to help you quit smoking is available 24/7 by calling 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
- Plan to Be Tobacco-Free, a free one hour planning session, can help you
create a plan to stop smoking. The next session will be held on Thursday,
July 25, from noon to 1 p.m. and again from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- Freedom From Smoking, an eight-session smoking cessation support group,
is offered and led by Methodist Hospital’s trained tobacco cessation
facilitators. The next meeting will be held on Thursday, August 8 at 5:30 p.m.
To sign up for Plan to Be Tobacco-Free or Freedom From Smoking, call Methodist
Hospital Prevention and Wellness Services at 270-826-4646. Prevention
and Wellness Services, located at 110 Second Street in downtown Henderson,
is here to help you to take the first steps on your journey to become
About Linda Gabe, RN, CDE
Linda Gabe is a Corporate Wellness Nurse for Prevention and Wellness Services
at Methodist Hospital. She is a Registered Nurse and Certified Diabetes
Educator. For more information, contact Prevention and Wellness Services